the lives of a hard working husband & a wife in grad school

the lives of a hard working husband & a wife in grad school
the moments that make us laugh & cry
the food that gets rave (& not so rave) reviews

11 September 2010

Dinner & petit four beginnings...

First of all, today is September 11th, so that means 3 things:

it's the anniversary of 9/11 - our thoughts and prayers are with the victims families
it's Carlyle's mom's birthday - happy birthday!
and it's Jean Chesno's birthday - happy birthday to you, too!

Today we watched the Gamecocks play and kick Georgia's butt on TV. It was awesome and likely the most harmony we will experience this football season!
This afternoon while Carlyle watched all of the football games he could find, I made three different cakes - almond, chocolate, and madagascar bourbon vanilla butter cake. They've all cooled and chilled and I've cut them into the squares and I started the icing process. I definitely have much more than I need... I needed like 40 squares, and I easily have 80 lol. So, maybe people will take two!
 Here's what I have done so far...
This was after the first coat... it took like four! I think it needed to be drier and thicker icing to really stick to the sides and be more opaque.

For dinner we had penne pasta & spinach & shrimp with a deliciously healthy tomato & basil marinara sauce. The sauce had EVOO and omega-3 and DHA and carrot puree in it apparently, so --> really healthy. I cooked shrimp with some italian dressing and white wine and added it to the sauce. I've found that it's super easy to cook spinach in the water with the pasta for the last few minutes - then just drain it all in the colander and voila - it's all there and ready for the sauce. It was a great, easy Saturday night dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment