the lives of a hard working husband & a wife in grad school

the lives of a hard working husband & a wife in grad school
the moments that make us laugh & cry
the food that gets rave (& not so rave) reviews

18 September 2010

Blueberry Cobbler

Tonight Carlyle & I went to a potluck at a local park with a bunch of young married couples from the church we've been visiting. I made blueberry cobbler and it was a crowd favorite! :-) I literally only have one small serving left - and I made a 9x13 pan of it and there were maybe like 20 couples there +children. I didn't take a picture of it - sorry - but it ends up looking kind of golden / crusty/cracked on top from the sugar mixture sprinkled on top of the batter.

Not my pic, not my cobbler, no peaches, but this is the best example I can find of what the crust looks like. 
It sounds complicated, but it's really pretty easy to make. Here's the small (8x8) recipe (I doubled it for the 9x13 inch pan). It's from this cute little blueberry farm that my family used to go to to pick blueberries. They have more recipes on their website - the blueberry muffin recipe is really good, too.  Now my parents have a gazillion blueberry trees so we get blueberries for free! Thanks Mom & Dad! :)


2 C. blueberries
Juice of  ¼ lemon (1 ½ tsp.)
¾ C. sugar
3 T. butter or margarine, softened
½ C.  milk
1 C. all purpose flour
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
½  to 1 C. sugar (according to your taste and the sweetness of fruit)
Dash of salt
1 T. cornstarch
¾ C. boiling water 


Line well-greased 8 x 8 x 2 inch pan with blueberries and sprinkle lemon juice over them.  (I didn't have lemon juice, so I didn't do this step. I did sprinkle about 1/3 cup sugar over the 4 cups of blueberries.)

Cream ¾ C. sugar with butter and add milk.  

Add to this mixture the flour sifted* together with baking powder and salt.  Spread this batter over blueberries.

Mix together the ½ to 1 C. sugar with cornstarch and salt.  Sprinkle this over batter and pour the boiling water over the top, but do not stir.  

Bake at 375°  for 1 hour.

(Recipe may be doubled and baked in a 13 x 9 inch pan for 1 hour.)  Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. 


*When recipes say to "sift" the flour mixtures, generally I dump all of it together and whisk it for about ten seconds or so until I think it's all mixed together and airy. Sifting is not an effective way to mix and evenly distribute baking power / or other leavening agents.

No comments:

Post a Comment