the lives of a hard working husband & a wife in grad school

the lives of a hard working husband & a wife in grad school
the moments that make us laugh & cry
the food that gets rave (& not so rave) reviews

27 August 2010

first days

Maybe I'm not the only one, but I definitely am cursed when it comes to the first day of school. I don't exactly remember what all happened on the first days of preschool and kindergarten, although I'm certain there were plenty of tears and separation anxiety. I'm not sure about middle school - I think I've mentally blocked out most of it for the benefit of my survival (who hasn't?).
High school I definitely remember - it was my second day wearing contact lenses (so I wouldn't have glasses and would look way cooler) and I was only supposed to wear them for a few hours. It was my first time having to catch the bus, and in the rush of things I forgot my purse with my contact case & solution. Sure enough, at about the time I was supposed to take out my contacts, I rubbed my eye and it got lost in my eye! If you wear contacts, you know about how this can happen. I remember my best friend, Sarah, trying to help me to not freak out. It eventually came out at the end of the day, and I had no where to put it. I was off to tennis practice / tryouts... with one contact in, one out. I had zilch depth perception, and it was completely embarrassing! I was swinging at the baseline for balls that were really dropping closer to the service line.
My first day of college classes was a train wreck, too. I was on my way to my first class - English 131 - when suddenly rain began to pour from the sky. Of course, I was walking from my freshman dorm which was about the farthest from everything on campus. Everything in backpack was soaked - all of my new (read: expensive) books from the bookstore were completely water damaged and wrinkled, and the worst of it: my cell phone was completely ruined.
Yesterday was my orientation day for grad school. Everything was going great until I was walking out of a building with a few new acquaintances and failed to notice a step at the door. I rolled on my ankle and I think I hit the floor. Thankfully, I didn't completely sprain my ankle, but it's still a little sore today. I'm just hoping that my first day of classes goes well on Tuesday!

I want to give props to Carlyle - Wednesday night I made pan-grilled salmon for dinner and completely charred the outside spice rub. Charred=black. The skin was crispier than I can get bacon. He was a total trooper and ate most of it, though he did question if there was a health risk via carcinogens lol! I am proud to say that this was the first time I think I've burned dinner since we've been married, so I'm doing alright I think. :-)

Please pray for us as I'm starting grad school and our schedules and interactions are about to change. My schedule will put me coming home about 7:00PM on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Carlyle wants to start cooking dinner when I start school, so I'm of course excited about that. :-) We're also PTL because my savings bonds that my parents gave me are perfectly paying for my tuition this semester - the interest is just under the tuition amount, so we're all set for taxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment