the lives of a hard working husband & a wife in grad school

the lives of a hard working husband & a wife in grad school
the moments that make us laugh & cry
the food that gets rave (& not so rave) reviews

28 August 2010

Biking, running, and a fabulous dinner

This afternoon we went out exploring in our neighborhood. We have a multi-purpose bike trail that starts across the highway from our apartment neighborhood that we've been wanting to check out. Since I was still feeling some ankle pain, I took my bike and Carlyle jogged along with me. We went 2.5 miles and came back (so 5 total).  It was a great trail; almost all of it was in the shade and there were a few hills to coast down / struggle up and there was great scenery along the way. We'll definitely do it again and go further when we're both on bikes... we just need to put air in C's bike tires first.

For dinner I made Italian chicken with spinach penne alfredo and garlic bread on the side (as perfected by Jennifer Cain in our college apartment living!).
It was pretty easy to make, but it was my first time making it and I just kind of invented it on my own.

I preheated the oven to 325 degrees F and lined a baking sheet with foil & sprayed it with nonstick spray generously.
I dipped the chicken breasts in a beaten egg and coated them with Italian seasoned Panko-style bread crumbs. They were really crunchy though after baking in the oven, so I think next time I'll soften them a little in milk or something.
I baked them in the oven for about 25-30 minutes.

Meanwhile, I boiled salted water and cooked the penne pasta (about two cups) and added the chopped baby spinach towards the end to wilt. I drained it in a colander and mixed it in with warmed alfredo sauce.

We loved it - Carlyle enjoyed it and says he'd like to have it again, so it's a winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment