the lives of a hard working husband & a wife in grad school

the lives of a hard working husband & a wife in grad school
the moments that make us laugh & cry
the food that gets rave (& not so rave) reviews

21 November 2010

Autumn & Redecorating

Last weekend Carlyle's parents came up to see us and we all had a great time together. The leaves were still hanging on and pretty vibrant still, so it was nice just driving around Bowie and Annapolis and DC seeing the leaves. Saturday we tried out a little seafood dive (well, I guess it was a little nicer than a dive, but still very home-style) in the middle of nowhere in Annapolis. It was called Cantler's and was at the end of a point on the water (some mouth of a creek I think that dumps into the Chesapeake). Carlyle's dad and I had been wanting to try Maryland-style crab cakes, and they were wonderful! 

The view from our porch a few weeks ago
the pumpkin we never carved lol...
beautiful flowers my husband brought me just because! 

Carlyle's mom helped me to recover my dining table chairs with new fabric that I bought. I'm in the middle of making new pillows for our couch that are from the same fabric family as the ones I bought for the chairs, so I'll post some of those soon, too. I've been super excited about sewing and making things since I bought a sewing machine a few weeks ago! I love it and I'm looking forward to trying new things. I look for excuses to sew - I've been checking all of our clothes for little holes or anything I could possibly mend so that I can pull it out and sew. :)

chairs before...


chairs after
one pillow made from the new fabric

The other fabric that will soon be made into pillows
Stuffed Pork chops we made one night - stuffing and apples and sage inside with honey-mustard on top - yum!
I tried making sugar cookies with royal icing on top. Some of them turned out okay, but they tasted great. It's just another medium of bakery art I'm trying to acquire...

No comments:

Post a Comment